Thursday 17 April 2008

Project 8: recording a sequence

I didn't really like this project, as I said earlier, I don't like the idea of walking around in amongst a crowd of people with a big camera pointing at them. I opted for the Zoo as a location and the flamingos in their surroundings as a subject. Here are the shots I took on the approach and closer in:
1. I could see the flamingos, too far away, walk in.
2. Still not close enough, walk in.
3. Still not close enough and there's William, my assistant.
4. The view of them is getting better, too much in the foreground and the sign is in view.
5. A little further and now we just have the plants, may be they could help frame the subject? A few more steps?
6. Looking a little better, nice reflection of the sky.
7. Let's try a portrait format. Oops, the sky is blown apart from that, the shot is pretty good,
8. A tighter view of the flamingos. Doesn't work so well. Let's walk around a bit further.
9. Not bad but still missing something.
10. Walk along, trying to keep one eye on William, another on the other visitors.
11. Not too bad, I want to try and work the reflection of the sky into the final shot.
12. A different view point. It doesn't work. Move along some more.
13. Okay, now I'm clear of most of the plants that were in the foreground. The reflection is nice. I think this is good. Let's see if we can get it any better. Walk some more.
14. Oops the sky is really blown (and cannot be recovered). I'm not too keen on this shot. Zoom in to see if there's a detail shot of the flamingos.
15. It's a bit dull. Nice contrast between the dark of the greenery anf the flamingos, but there's too much darkness.
16.Not too bad. Reflection is nice. Recompose.
17. That's nicer, I like the tree on the left (okay I like it's reflection).
18. Switch to portrait. Got some of the foreground foliage in the shot, not in focus and a little distracting because of this?
19. Recompose, check the exposure, that's better, wish I had my tripod so that I could stop down and sharpen the foreground.
20. Let's try a landscape from a few steps back. That's pretty good. I like the foreground, the blue in the reflection is hidden though.
I think 19 and 20 are the best of the selection.

No comments: