Saturday 12 April 2008

Project 15: cropping

Summary of the exercise: Select 3 photos, of different subjects. Produce various crops explaining why you chose them.

Tree

The Original

A different cropof the tree. I removed some of the sky and grass, these weren't particularly interesting. The panoramic style makes the eye travel in the horizontal and the viewer will naturally look to see what's in the distance.

The scenery in the distance. This is another pano, the brightness of the church is the first object to catch the eye, behind the village there are lots of outlines of trees. I picked this crop to show the detail that was in the original, it's a different picture altogther. (This might have been better had I cropped off the left 1/3rd of the frame).

The scenery in the background with a part of the tree and grass in the foreground.

I kept part of the tree to add some forground interest. I kept the village church to act as a focal point in the background.

Canal scene

The Original

A close crop of the Lock. This removes much of the foreground that was in the original.

This was selected to allow the viewer to concentrate on the action around the lock.

Dafs with the canal. I went for this to show off the dafs whilst keeping some of the key context. I like they way the reflection in the water shows a few chimneys. Not sure about the balance of this shot?

Just the dafs. Cropped in a very narrow portrait format to emphasise their height.

Windmill

The Original

I went for a square crop with much of the surroundings included. This allows the track to lead ones eye into the windmill, the square I think works with the centre placement of the windmill. i put the horrizon on the lower third line.

A very veryical crop. This was intended to keep the track to lead the eye, and then to allow the eye to work it's way up into the frame. I think the sky and clouds are worth including.

I selected this crop, putting the windmill on the lower left, it's on an rules of thirds intersection. I kept the bold blue sky to add to the contrast of the shot.

This shot shows the windmill and some of it's surroundings. I like the heavy looking clouds separated by patches of blue. The windmill in on the right hand 1/3rd vertical.

No comments: