Wednesday 9 April 2008

Project 11: balance

I've been working on Balance this afternoon, here are my results:
In this shot, if you draw a line along a diagonal that runs through the knife then you have the line along which I have considered the picture. The black area on either side are the two large blocks on the see-saw and the knife sits on the centre. This shot is balanced.
In this picture of the glass, the objects considered for the purpose of balance were the glass and it's shadow. I think this shot is balanced.
This is a picture of some bark on which a sheep has caught some wool. When converting to BW I tried to ensure that there was a balance of tones. Light on the left, medium in the middle and dark on the right. I've put the light, dark and piece of wool on the see-saw. I think this shot is pretty much balanced.
The next shot is some trees at sunset (or slightly after). I considered light and dark areas, the light being the sky and the dark being the trees. (The ground was excluded since it is a dark band running from left to right and doesn't seem to impact the balance along this axis - although it does if you consider the balance vertically). As you can see from my sketch, I think the shot is balanced.
A shot of the local canal, it's the Grand Union Canal as it passes through Berkhamsted. There are plenty of individual items in this photo, but I went for areas; the dark area on the left (includes the building and dark trees/shrubs), the light willow tree and then the light area on the right (includes the pub, the cruiser and the lighter buildings above it). This is maybe a little unbalanced with the left side having more weight. I'm not altogether sure.
Now we are at Ivinghoe Beacon looking at a couple of sheep who are enjoying the scenery (honest). Here I'm not sure exactly how best to analyse the balance of the scene. I've just gone for sheep as the only object to consider, but maybe I should have also considered the grass??? So this is unbalanced.

4 comments:

Mary Adam said...

This seems well-balanced to me (but I'm not doing TAOP and am not even a photographer). It may be the rising land on the right, the strong curved lines which draw attention to that side after looking at the sheep. It's a great shot!

Richard Roscoe said...

Many thanks for stopping by. Hey, it doesn't matter if your not a photographer or doing the TAoP, everyones opinion is worth consideration, especially when they are a talented artist (I visited your website).

I appreciate your comments and I too actually thought the Sheep picture was balanced, I just couldn't get it to fit with my understanding of how the course suggested balance could be analysed. I put this shot in to my work to try and find out if anyone could help with a methodical analysis that could be applied, or who could help me better understand the course materials.

I like how you suggest the balance works.

Btw, I've always struggled with abstract art, something to do with having 3 sisters all strongly into art (2 who studied fine art and one textiles) .. and I'm a scientist .. anyway, I've really enjoyed looking at your abstract pieces.

Thanks again!

Mary Adam said...

Thanks for visiting my website and your comments, As a matter of fact I once wrote a blog post about the sense of balance (if such a thing exists) -- it's at http://mary-adam.blogspot.com/2006/09/sense-of-balance.html. I'm not sure it can be put into words. It may be one of those things where you know it when you see it. It's still no harm trying and the TAOP exercises must certainly make you think.

Richard Roscoe said...

There's a discussion on flickr about balance.